Friday 30 June 2023

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season 2, Episode 3, "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing okay. Things are getting easier following my grandmothers's passing, but I still miss them obviously. Today though I'm here to talk about this week's episode of SNW, "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow". There won't be a ton of spoilers, but there will be some as it's hard to talk about the episode without them. So if you watch the show and haven't seen the episode yet, please do so first, and then come back to read this review. Let's get into it.


Every so often there's an episode of a Star Trek show that isn't great. Especially in the less serialized shows like SNW, TNG, and TOS. So after the awesomeness of last week's episode, this one was a bit wonky. La'an ends up in an alternate timeline where Earth had been conquered by the Romulans and as a result, the Federation was never founded and Starfleet doesn't exist. The Enterprise belongs to the United Earth Fleet, and is commanded by James T. Kirk, played by Paul Wesley, instead of Pike. In order to fix the timeline, La'an and Kirk go back to Toronto in 2022 in order to prevent a Romulan agent, played by Adelaide Kane, from carrying out her mission that alters the timeline. And that event is the assassination of Khan Noonien-Singh, which makes it pretty personal for La'an.

Aside from La'an, the best part of this episode was Adelaide Kane. She played Tenaya 7/Tenaya 15 on Power Rangers RPM back in 2009 and was the sister of Tyler Hoechlin's character, Derek Hale, on Teen Wolf during the third season in 2013. She's also been on other shows such as Once Upon a Time as Drizella, one of the ugly stepsisters from Cinderella, Reign, where she played Mary, Queen of Scots, and is currently a main cast member on Grey's Anatomy. And she was also in a made-for-TV movie in 2010 called Secrets of the Mountain alongside Paige Turco, who was April O'Neill in the second and third Ninja Turtles movies made in the '90s, and Barry Bostwick, who played the mayor on Spin City alongside Michael J. Fox, and Charlie Sheen in the late '90s and early 2000s. 

I mentioned all of that to say that I was pretty surprised when I was hearing people expressing they weren't familiar with the actress while watching last night's episode. Especially because she wasn't put into the Romulan makeup for this episode, just looking like her usual self, like she has in every show and movie she's ever been in. I really like Adelaide Kane, and Tenaya is one of my favourite villains from Power Rangers, besides Goldar, Zeltrax and Elsa from Dino Thunder, and Diabolico from Lightspeed Rescue, so it was pretty great seeing her on Star Trek since I've only seen her in RPM and Secrets of the Mountain as I wasn't interested in Teen Wolf back when it was on, and I'd stopped watching Once Upon a Time after the first season had finished airing. 

I like Paul Wesley as Kirk and I thought that he and Christina Chong (La'an) had great chemistry together, but, the episode would've been more effective had the character been someone who was also part of the main cast or if the rest of the main cast had been in the episode alot more than they were. Though we did get to see Pelia and what she was doing in 2022, so that was fun. But, I dunno, there was just something about this episode that didn't feel right to me.

As a Canadian I did appreciate that the writer of this episode decided to set it in Toronto. Usually when a production that films in Toronto needs a city, they film on location in the streets of that city, but then alter things in post-production that makes Toronto look like New York City or something like that. Especially when it's an American production, like Star Trek. So I'm glad that they actually ended up in Toronto. I remember when I saw that in the season 2 teaser, and I was like, "why are they in 21st Century Toronto?" At the time I actually thought that it was part of the crossover with Lower Decks, like La'an and Kirk end up in Toronto in 2022 while Mariner and Boimler end up on the Enterprise, but it ended up being its own episode. Honestly, I think making it be part of the crossover would've made the episode better just because it would connect it to something. Not that I have a problem with it being personal for La'an, it's just this is supposed to be an ensemble cast, and it really feels like the majority of the main cast is being underused in this season so far. At least with Pike I understand, since Anson Mount's wife was pregnant and about to deliver any day while season 2 was filming last year, so they had write more episodes that didn't center around Pike in case he wasn't available for filming at any point during production. But, that doesn't explain why barely anyone else appeared in this episode.

Overall this was a good episode, but it wasn't amazing like the first two episodes of the season were. But, that's usually what happens when a season has as strong of an opening as this season of SNW has had. Not every episode can be a winner. Sometimes you gotta take the stinkers as well. 

Alright my friends, that's going to be it for me for this week. I'll be back next week for more reviews and posts, so until then have a great weekend and I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...