Tuesday 20 June 2023

Sesame Street: A Day in the Life of Oscar the Grouch (1981) Book Memories

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I had a rough weekend, but I'm here and today I'm going to do something a little bit different. I had alot of Sesame Street storybooks when I was a kid but there's one I wanted to highlight, A Day in the Life of Oscar the Grouch by Linda Hayward and illustrated by Bill Davis. The reason I want to highlight this book in particular is because Oscar the Grouch was my grandfather's favourite character on Sesame Street, to the point where we called him Grandpa Grouch. Yesterday would've been Grandpa's 88th birthday. So let's get into it.


A Day in the Life of Oscar the Grouch is exactly what the title suggests. It's Oscar the Grouch telling the reader about what a day in his life is like. That's the book. I got this book probably in 1990 or 1991, and, it being a Sesame Street book, I looked at it all the time. And I'm pretty sure it was Nana who got it for me too. Like I said, I had a lot of Sesame Street books when I was a kid but I loved this one because it is Oscar centric. While I loved Big Bird, Ernie & Bert, Grover, Elmo, and the Count, Oscar was my favourite too. He was mean, but he wasn't evil. He's not a supervillain afterall. There was just something about him that always made me laugh. I think it's because he's the opposite of all the other denizens of Sesame Street, who are all innocent and wholesome. 

The book later came out as a book and tape set, but I don't remember if I had the book and tape set or if I just had the book. Mainly because I had the book and tape sets for most, if not all, of the Sesame Street books that I had when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I had the book and tape set for this one too. I just don't remember for sure. What I do remember is that whether or not I had the tape that went along with this book, I pretended I could hear Oscar's voice as I read the book, once I could read. It's pretty hard not to do that when looking at a Sesame Street book. Especially when you're so familiar with those voices.

One thing that I remember about the Sesame Street books in general is that the human characters, like David, Maria, Bob, Gordon, Luis, Susan, and Gina, very rarely appeared in them. I remember that David, Luis, and Maria appeared in Bert and the Broken Teapot, Maria appeared in Ernie Gets Lost, and David, Luis, and Maria appeared in When Grover Moved to Sesame Street, but those were the exceptions for the books/Book & Tape Sets that I owned. The human characters may have appeared in books that I didn't have.  

The illustrations in this book were great. I remember them being on point for the muppet characters though you see more of them since they aren't puppets needing to be hidden behind a counter or a table or anything like that. Though in this book we see Oscar in his trash can.  

That's all I really wanted to say about this book. I might do a Sesame Street book collection overview at some point, just to show off all the ones I had when I was a kid, but I wanted to highlight this one specifically because of yesterday being what would've been Grandpa's 88th birthday. I'll be back with a comic book review either tomorrow or on Thursday, and then on Friday my review for this week's episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds will come out. So until then have a great rest of your day and I will talk to you later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...