Wednesday 11 January 2023

Willow Season 1 (2022) TV Show Review

 Hey everyone! How's it going? I'm doing pretty well. So I just finished watching the season finale of Willow and it was definitely an interesting ending to the season. I'm not gonna go into too much detail on the season, simply because it just ended so I don't want to give spoilers, but I do still want to give you my thoughts on the season, and the outcome of it. So let's get into it.


As I mentioned in my review of the first two episodes, I was really excited for this show. While I'm not a big Sword and Sorcery Fantasy fan, the original movie, Willow, is one of the few pieces of entertainment that I love in that genre. So when the show was announced, and then as the trailers and posters came out, I got more excited. But as the season came out, I found myself thinking that maybe it should've been a movie instead of a show. Especially around episodes 6 and 7. But I guess it started around episode 5 for me. Luckily it ended in a way that made sense. And actually I wanna start by talking about the final battle between Elora and Kit, and the Crone and Airk, so minor spoilers for that, without giving anything else away.

The final battle is probably the most Magical Girl Anime battle I have ever seen in live action. Not counting the 2003 TV series, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. Yes, I will be reviewing that at some point. Especially Kit's transformation sequence where the armor that Boorman had been trying to obtain was given to Kit before the battle and as soon as she plugged in the power source, it turned into a power suit, very similar to other types of magic armor shown in Anime. But then the actual fight between Elora and the Crone, the being that inhabited Queen Bavmorda in the original movie, there's so much magic energy between the two, and oddly enough Elora's energy is green while the Crone's is red. Almost like ILM was trying to evoke Luke and Vader's lightsabers from Return of the Jedi with that colour choice. 

Something that came up as the show continued is the use of modern language in the show. I know that'll bug fans of Fantasy, but it doesn't bother me quite as much. Don't get me wrong, it still bothers me, but only because it's inconsistent with how everyone talks in the movie. When George Lucas and Bob Dolman wrote the movie back in the mid-'80s, they had a specific way that the characters would speak. Similar to how George did it for Star Wars when he made it in the '70s. And aside from Jonathan Kasdan and Bob Dolman in the first two episodes, all of the writers disregarded that completely and had the characters speaking like they were in the United States in 2022 rather than A Long Time Ago in A Far Away Land. So that was jarring. But at the same time it made sense because it's a fictional land that doesn't exist anywhere in the real world. It's not Middle Earth or Westeros either. So if these writers want people to talk like they're in 21st Century America, then so be it. It just bugged me a little bit because this show wasn't just created in a vacuum, it's a sequel for the movie that created this world and these characters.

Speaking of the characters, you could really tell that Elora and Kit were the focus characters of this show. Yes, it's called Willow and Willow Ufgood is in it, but his story was told in the movie, whereas this show is Kit and Elora's stories. And I say that because they're the characters who have the most development throughout the season and there's never an episode where they don't appear or aren't the main focus. The only character I didn't really like is Boorman. I get he was supposed to be the show's version of Madmartigan, played by the wonderful Val Kilmer in the movie, but Madmartigan was charming and noble. Boorman was just an idiot that nobody could rely on. Anytime he was on screen I rolled my eyes because he was not fun to watch. I actually preferred Graydon to Boorman. He was just more fun to watch than Boorman was. And I think that's because the actor who played Graydon, Tony Revolori, who also played Flash Thompson in the Tom Holland/MCU Spider-Man movies, is so much fun to watch on screen and I love his chemistry with both Warwick Davis, who reprised his role as Willow, and Ellie Bamber, who played Elora. Anytime Tony is on screen with either of them it's great.

Speaking of Elora, she is my favourite character on the show. She had such a rollercoaster of a journey this season going from a cook named Dove to fulfilling her destiny as Elora Danan. She was also the only character, aside from Willow and Graydon, who wasn't unlikable at all through the entire season. I also loved the scenes where Willow is training her to use her powers. It was such a fun mentor/trainee pairing. Kind of like Anakin and Ahsoka in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

I don't have much else to say about the show without giving spoilers. If you've seen the movie and liked it, you'll enjoy this show. While there were a number of scary moments throughout the season, but the show skews more towards the comedic side of things. Even more so than any of the MCU Disney+ shows. I recommend checking it out if you haven't already. Even if you just watch the first couple of episodes and decide it's not for you. 

That's it for me for today. I'm going to be adjusting my review schedule a little bit just to incorporate my review of Stargirl by Geoff Johns since I'm almost finished reading it. That review will come out on Friday and my review of Stargirl season 2 will come out on Saturday. So until then have a great evening and I will talk to you later. Take care.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...