Wednesday 18 January 2023

Gargoyles (Dynamite) #1 (2022) Comic Book Review

 Hey everyone! How's it going? I'm doing pretty well. Today I'm here for a comic book review of a recent single issue. That issue is Gargoyles #1, published by Dynamite Entertainment and came out back in December. I'm also going to do a second post that will cover the history of Gargoyles in comic books since it goes all the way back to when the TV show was airing on The Disney Afternoon in 1995. So stay tuned for that. There won't be any spoilers for this issue in this review, but there might be some spoilers for it, as well as some minor ones for the previous comic book series that have been published over the years in the next post, so just be aware of that as we go along. Right now, let's get into it.


I was honestly surprised when I came across this issue on the rack at the comic book store when I was there with Brad back in December. Being that I don't follow Dynamite Entertainment on social media, and I don't generally pick up other comics they publish, I had no idea that this comic was even coming out. So when I saw it I grabbed a copy, though because they didn't have the main cover, which you see above, I grabbed a copy that had cover B on it, with artwork done by veteran comic book artist, Amanda Conner. In fact, here's a look at the cover I have in front of me.


As cool as the main cover is, I actually prefer this one. Mainly because Gargoyles is an animated series, and the main cover makes them look too realistic. Conner's cover maintains that animated quality to the characters that is missing from the main cover. Though I am surprised that Angela is missing from this cover.

Not a whole lot happens in this issue. It's basically a re-introduction to the world since it's been about 25 years since the original show ended its run and about 15 years since the series published by SLG Comics ceased publication. Like the previous series it was written by series creator, Greg Weisman, who many of you might know as the co-creator of Star Wars Rebels (2014-2018) and the creator of Young Justice (2011-2022) as well as a ton of other animated series in the last 34 years. It's really good though.

Greg Weisman knows these characters inside and out and while I don't necessarily agree that these comics should completely ignore the official third season, The Goliath Chronicles, as that's what aired on TV and Disney isn't exatly ignoring it since the third season is on Disney+, I do think that Weisman is probably the best person to continue the story of Gargoyles whether the comics ignore The Goliath Chronicles, or continues the story from there. And because Weisman has been involved with the Gargoyles fandom for the last 29 years, he knows what the fans want to see, because he himself wants to see it. I love it when the creator of a franchise is just as enthusiastic about the franchise as the fans are. 

One concern I do have is that this issue picks up right where the 2006 series left off in 2009, I'll get to that in the next post, as the SLG books, including the trade paperback collections, have been out of print for the last ten years or more, and I never see them at cons or comic book sales or other geek events. The trades are also super expensive online too. So it's extremely difficult to pick up the series at all. And while Elisa's narration tells you who everyone is, there aren't any details so unless you were lucky and actually picked up the single issues up to #8, as #'s 9-12 were only published in the second trade paperback collection, or were able to pick up the trades when they were first published, or borrowed them from the library, there is no way to read those issues before picking up this one. It's still a fun read if you're a Gargoyles fan and haven't read the 2006 comic book series. But be prepared to be confused by Brooklyn wearing the same outfit he did in the last episode of the Avalon World Tour arc in season 2, where Goliath, Angela, Elisa, and Bronx find themselves in a false future where Xanatos somehow conquered the world before disappearing, and why he has a mate and a child, and a few other things as well.

Overall this was a good issue. It had all the elements that made Gargoyles what it was during its first two seasons, and I'm interested in seeing where Weisman takes these characters next. Like I said, if you're a fan, you owe it to yourself to read it, even if you missed out on the 2006 series.

That's it for this review. I'll be back shortly with the history of Gargoyles in comics. Until then I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...