Wednesday 5 October 2022

DC Comics's Star Trek Overview Part 7: Star Trek Specials (1994-1995)

 Hey everyone! How's it going? I'm doing pretty well. It's Wednesday, which means it's time to return to the '90s for another installment of my DC Comics Star Trek overview series. Today we're talking about three issues labeled as "Specials" because they couldn't be annuals I guess. And because the stories are standalone and aren't revisited/retold in other media, they're the only things I'm talking about in this post. So let's get into it!


Star Trek Special #1 was published sometime in 1994, though there's no date recorded on Memory Alpha. There are only two stories in this issue. The first features the return of R.J. Blaise, the protocol officer that Starfleet Command assigned to the Enterprise-A in Star Trek #4 and who was last seen in Star Trek #13. The second story takes place on Vulcan, between Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984) and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) where the crew of the late Starship Enterprise await Starfleet's response to their actions in Star Trek III. Spock is recovering from the refusion of his Katra following his death and resurrection, and meets T'Pring for the first time since "Amok Time". He and Kirk also have a conversation about what happened in the years since the events of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979), including Spock's death in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982). I had this issue when I was a kid, and I enjoyed it. 


Star Trek Special #2 also came out in 1994. But unlike the previous issue, I've never owned this issue and have never read it. According to Memory Alpha, there are also two stories in this issue. The first has the Enterprise-A going to rescue the USS Defiant, the Constitution class starship from the season 3 TOS episode, "The Tholian Web". Though this story was superceded by the Star Trek: Enterprise season 4 episode, "In a Mirror Darkly" where it was revealed that the Defiant was pulled into the Mirror Universe and thrown back to the 22nd Century, where it was captured by the Tholians of the Mirror Universe. The second story is about Lieutenant Saavik from Star Trek II, Star Trek III, and Star Trek IV meeting with Valeris from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991), who is an Ensign, prior to the events of Star Trek VI. That's all I know about the issue.


Star Trek Special #3 was published in 1995 and I also didn't own it. One story has Kirk take his nephews camping shortly after the death of George Samuel Kirk (Jim's brother) in the TOS season 1 finale, "Operation--Annihilate!". The second story takes place in the current, between Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) and Star Trek VI time period the comics were set in, and the Enterprise-A has returned to Earth for the inauguration ceremony for the new Federation President. None of this is mentioned in the brief synopsis on Memory Alpha, I had to go looking on Memory Beta, the secondary Star Trek Wiki that focuses on secondary material such as novels and comics. So the new Federation President is the one that Kurtwood Smith played in Star Trek VI rather than the one we saw in Star Trek IV and who appeared in the early issues of this run of the DC Comics Star Trek series.

And that's it for the Star Trek Specials. I wish I had more to say about the second and third issues, but being that I've never read them and have never owned them, it's more difficult to talk about them in more detail. So hopefully you all enjoyed this look at these three issues. Next time I'll be tackling the main Star Trek: The Next Generation series that ran from 1989 to 1996. I'll be back on Sunday for my review of season 3 of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers so until then have a great afternoon and a great weekend and I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...