Friday 26 August 2022

Disney Sing-Along Songs Overview Part 3: A Sing-Along Songs Side Quest (1994-1995)

 Hey everyone! How's it going? I'm doing well. Happy Friday! Today, I'm continuing with my overview of the Disney Sing-Along Songs home video series. However, I'm taking a bit of a side quest to talk about a trilogy of VHS tapes that are related to the Disney Sing-Along Songs, known as Mickey's Fun Songs. So let's get into it.

While the Mickey's Fun Songs tapes are similar to the Disney Sing-Along Songs series, they're different in that all three tapes are fully live-action similar to the twelfth volume of Disney Sing-Along Songs, The Twelve Days of Christmas. They're also different in that the majority of songs AREN'T ones from Disney movies, TV shows, or theme parks. Instead they're mostly songs that basically every kid was singing in preschool and early elementary school, though a few Disney songs are sprinkled into all three tapes. Let's take a look at each one shall we?


Released on February 2nd, 1994, Campout at Walt Disney World is the first tape in the Mickey's Fun Songs series. Mickey and his friends go camping with a group of kids at Fort Willderness Resort and Campground at Walt Disney World. A few of the kids who appear in this tape appear in the other two as well. They spend the entire day singing classic camping songs. I don't remember ever knowing about this tape (or the other two) growing up. I probably saw them in one of the Walt Disney Home Video pamphlet catalogues that were always included in a new Walt Disney Home Video release, but I don't actually remember seeing it. I did do a full review of all three Mickey's Fun Songs tapes over on The Review Basement blog back in early 2021 so if you wanna check those out feel free to do so.

The songs on this tape are: "Let's Go (Mickey's Fun Songs Theme), "Comin' Round the Mountain", "The Bare Necessities" (The Jungle Book), "The Caissons Go Rolling Along", "The Happy Wanderer", "Oh, Susanna!", "Camptown Races", "By the Beautiful Sea", "Don't Fence Me In", "Turkey in the Straw" (originally played by Mickey in Steamboat Willie), "Talent Round-Up", "Jeepers Creepers", "Mountain Greenery", "Country Roads", "If You're Happy and You Know It", and "Goodnight Campers".


Released on April 22nd, 1994, Let's Go to the Circus! is the second tape in the series. This time Mickey and the gang take the kids to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. I don't have much else to say about this release since I didn't own it when I was a kid, and actually only watched it for the first time last year when I did my individual reviews on it. It was my least favourite tape in the series as I've never been to the circus and was never a big fan of the circus to begin with.

The songs on this tape are: "Let's Go (Mickey's Fun Songs Theme)", "Rainbow World", "The Circus on Parade", "Upside Down", "Aba Daba Honeymoon", "I Wan'na Be Like You" (The Jungle Book), "The Man on the Flying Trapeze", "Over and Over Again", "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines", "Make 'em Laugh", "The Bells", "Animal Calypso", "Jump Rope", "Be a Clown", and "Join the Circus".


The final tape in the series, Beach Party at Walt Disney World, wasn't released until June 30th, 1995, a little over 14 months since Let's Go to the Circus! had been released. I love this tape. I didn't have it when I was a kid but I have both the 1996 Disney Sing-Along Songs VHS re-release and the 2005 DVD release, both of which I'll be discussing in future parts of this overview, in my collection now. It's fantastic. 

The songs on this tape are: "Let's Go (Mickey's Fun Songs Theme)", "Celebration", "Set Your Name Free", "Surfin' Safari", "Three Little Fishies", "A Pirate's Life", "Part of Your World" (The Little Mermaid), "Hot, Hot, Hot", "The Hukilau Song", "Pearly Shells", "Limbo Rock", and "Slicin' Sand".

That my friends is it for Mickey's Fun Songs. Next time I'll be going through the third wave of Disney Sing-Along Songs releases that came out from 1994 until 1999, including the re-releases of the first twelve volumes of the series. It's going to be the longest post in this series as there are alot of releases to cover in it. But that'll be next time. I might be back sometime this weekend to review the final book in the Zeroes trilogy but I'm not quite sure which day I'll be doing that on. So until then have a wonderful rest of your day and a wonderful weekend and I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...