Wednesday 24 August 2022

Alone Together (2018) TV Show Review

 Hey everyone! How's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Wednesday. Today I'm going to be talking about a show that aired on Freeform for two seasons in 2018 called Alone Together. It's about two millennials, a guy and a girl, who are best friends, and their crazy antics in the real world. There aren't really any spoilers to give because the entire show is episodic, and there's no character progression or a real plot, so let's get into it.


Created by and starring Benji Aflalo and Esther Povitsky, Alone Together is a fictionalized version of themselves and their friendship. How much from the rest of their lives is in this show, isn't known, but their characters's friendship is exactly the same as theirs in real life. 

I came across this series by accident on Saturday on Disney+. I went on to see if the 1998 TV series, Felicity is on there (it is) and one of the recommendations at the bottom of the page for that show, was this one, so I looked at the description and before I knew it, I was watching the first episode. As I said, there's only two seasons and each season is only 10 episodes long, so I blew through the series in four days as a result. 

I really enjoyed the show. One of the things that drew me to the series is it's focus on a purely platonic friendship between a man and a woman and how society doesn't seem to understand how such things can exist. Especially on TV shows and in movies because of the friends to lovers trope that seems to be prevalent in media. As someone who has been friends with a girl, and people around us have asked us (repeatedly) why we're not dating or have thought we were secretly dating, or whatever the case was, it was nice to see it portrayed on TV for a change.

Another thing that I like about this show is that it's pure fun and entertainment. It's a comedy. No high stakes, no continuity to keep track of, no supervillains. Because each episode was 21 minutes long it's the kind of show that I was easily able to watch five episodes of before going to bed or to kill time in the afternoon when there was nothing else to do.

I love Esther as a character. She's so chaotic and oblivious it's great. I like Benji but it's harder for me to relate to him because he comes from a rich family whereas Esther is someone I can absolutely relate to the most. Like I said, she's chaotic, oblivious, and so much fun that I would definitely hang out with her in real life. Also, Benji and Esther's friendship reminds me so much of my friendship with my friend Kelly that it also kept me engaged with the series.

Overall I really enjoyed Alone Together. It's nothing spectacular, but it was a nice diversion these last couple of days and trust me I needed a diversion. It's not for everybody, but I would recommend giving it a watch. It's on Disney+ here in Canada and on Hulu in the United States. 

Alright, I think that's going to be it for me for today. I will be back tomorrow for the second part in my retrospective on DC Comics's Star Trek comic book series, where I'll be looking at the original 1984 series. So until then have a wonderful rest of the day and I will talk to you all later. Take care.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...