Tuesday 5 July 2022

The VHS Corner: Alvin and the Chipmunks Go to the Movies: Batmunk (1992)

 Hey everyone! How's it going? I'm doing pretty well. Welcome back to the VHS Corner, the series where I look at a VHS tape from my childhood. Today I'm looking at Alvin and the Chipmunks Go to the Movies: Batmunk from 1992. Let's get into it.


When I was a kid in the early to mid '90s, Alvin and the Chipmunks was one of my favourite cartoons. It aired on both YTV and Global, as with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Sailor Moon, and Animorphs, though I remember watching it on YTV than I do watching it on Global. The show's 8th season, which aired in 1990 and was it's final season, focused completely on parodies of popular movies of the 1980s and earlier. In 1992 three episodes of the season were released on VHS by Buena Vista Home Video (now known as Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment). "Batmunk" was one of them. In case you were wondering, "Batmunk" is a parody of Tim Burton's Batman, which had just come out on home video only nine months prior, and had been a huge box office success in the summer of 1989. 

Simon plays Brice Wayne/Batmunk with Alvin as the Jokester, Theodore as Happy the Butler (interesting choice of names), and Brittany as Nicki Nale (Vicki Vale obviously). For some reason I missed this episode, and all of the episodes of season 8 on TV when I was a kid but I saw this one on VHS. 

In early 1994 my parents and I went to my grandparents's house for some sort of party while my siblings stayed home with a babysitter, and while the adults were occupied, I was put in the basement to watch TV for the evening. So that I had something to watch, my parents rented this tape from Rogers Video for me. I watched it along with the tape that had six episodes of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers that were taped for me, as mentioned in my Power Rangers VHS overview. Being the Batman fan that I am and being that I also loved Alvin and the Chipmunks, I loved this tape. 

The opening of the tape is the preview for the Alvin and the Chipmunks VHS releases coming out in 1992, including Batmunk. Oh and there's the usual green warning cards, and the Buena Vista Home Video logo that I think I've seen on the VHS for Gargoyles: The Movie - The Heroes Awaken, which is another tape I'll be talking about in the near future. 

I never saw it again after that one time my parents rented the tape for me but I remember it fondly because it's Alvin and the Chipmunks combined with Batman, released by Disney, that's just the perfect combination right there. So far in the four and a half years since I started collecting VHS tapes again, I have yet to come across this tape anywhere, but I've had my eye out for it. 

That's it for this week's edition of The VHS Corner. I'll be back tomorrow with my look at the main DC Universe Batman comics that I had when I was a kid. So until then have a wonderful evening and I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...