Wednesday 13 July 2022

Ms. Marvel (2022) TV Show Review

 Hey everyone! How're you all doing today? I'm fine. I'm here to review Ms. Marvel now that the show is done. There will be minor spoilers so if you're watching the show and haven't watched the finale yet, or were waiting for the show to be over before you watched it, please go do that before you read this review. Let's get into it.


As I said in my episode 1 review, this show is my first encounter with Kamala Khan so I don't know a thing about her story or how much was changed in the adaptation process from the comic books to the show. Watching this show though you didn't really need to because it's a very easy world to fall into. At least at the start. As the show progressed though it ended up falling into the same trap as all of the other Marvel shows have in that once again they tried to do too much in such a short amount of episodes.

My favourite part of this show was Kamala herself. Iman Vellani played the character so well and I was there for that character the whole time, even if the story itself got unnecessarily convoluted, I was there for Kamala because she was amazing. I was also there for the fun stuff, like that entire dance sequence during her brother Aamir's wedding in episode 3 and the Avengers Con stuff in episode 1, even the high school stuff in the first two episodes. 

I also loved the dynamic between Bruno and Kamala. Though I do wish that Nakia had a bigger role in this show because I really liked her and not enough was done with her because of the stuff going on with the Clandestines. I also loved Kamala's parents.

That doesn't mean that the stuff with the Clandestines and with the Department of Damage Control was bad. It just felt like it was too much for a six episode series, when that could've been what Carol Danvers and Monica Rambeau help Kamala with in The Marvels (2023). It needed to be more fleshed out and the show just didn't have time to do so given it was only six episodes and it doesn't look like any of it will carry over into the movie. Though I do hope Damage Control appears in the movie because I wanna see what happens to Agent Deever following her screw up in the finale of this show. Particularly because they made such a big deal out of her character in the first three episodes but hardly did anything with her until the finale, and even then, they barely did anything with her.

I did enjoy the fourth episode when Kamala and her mother, Muneeba, go to Karachi, Pakistan, to visit Kamala's grandmother. The aerial footage of the city was absolutely gorgeous and unique compared to New York City or Chicago or LA or Toronto and Ottawa even. Visually this show was amazing the entire time. 

I do wish that Marvel would stop doing the thing where a character wears a makeshift costume for a whole movie or for a whole series before getting their actual costume at the end of the movie or in the final episode of the show though. It doesn't even make sense for Spider-Man. It's also getting a bit tiresome to see it every single time we get a new superhero character in the MCU. 

Overall, despite my problem with how bloated the show feels, particularly near the end, I really enjoyed Ms. Marvel and really hope that Kamala continues in the MCU following The Marvels next year. I defnitely recommend you check it out if you haven't watched it yet. It's pretty great.

Alright my friends that's going to be it for me for today. I'll be back soon for more posts. Not sure when exactly yet but I might have a movie review for you on Friday or I might do another post tomorrow. We'll see though. In the meantime have a great evening and I will talk to you all later. Take care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...