Wednesday 15 June 2022

Love, Victor Season 3 (2022) TV Series Review

 Hey everyone! How's it going? I'm doing okay. I'm a little tired because I just spent an entire day watching TV and finished an entire season of television in a single day, which I have actually never done before, but hey, it was fun. In fact that's kinda why I'm here today. That season was season 3 of Love, Victor, which I reviewed the first two seasons of on The Review Basement back in October and November of 2021. So let's get into it. There will be spoilers because the entire season dropped today, so if you're watching the show, and haven't finished season 3 yet, then please do so before reading this review. With that out of the way, let's get right into it.


I really enjoyed this final season of Love, Victor but it feels unfinished somehow. Like there should be more. Not that the finale needed to be epic or anything, but there seemed to be there was supposed to be more to the season than there was, like episodes were missing. I can't seem to find anything about it online so I guess it was always meant to be 8 episodes instead of the ten episodes that the first two seasons had been. 

One thing I would like to note is that this season happened mostly away from school. Which is fine, because the basketball stuff, both for Victor, and for Andrew, didn't need to be at the forefront of the series. It's not One Tree Hill afterall, though Sophia Bush is in both shows. I just thought it was interesting to see more of Victor's life away from school this time around.

Speaking of Victor's life, he was completely separated from his friends all season. Like he and Mia didn't have a single scene together until the finale. Actually, now that I think about it Victor didn't have very many scenes with any of the rest of the main cast. He had two or three scenes with Felix all season, had one with Mia and Lake, only three scenes with Andrew, AND only had a couple of scenes with Pilar and his family. The rest of the time he was with Nick, Rahim, or Benjy. And I kind of feel like that was a bit of a misstep on the part of the writers given that, at least to me, the biggest strength this series had in the first two seasons, was Victor's supporting cast, including his parents. And I felt that just wasn't utilized that much in this season. Especially since Simon wasn't there to help him out this season. Which I actually kind of liked, because it got the show out of the shadow of it's source material film, Love, Simon (2018), and let it stand on it's own.

If you read my reviews of the first two seasons then I think you know what I'm about to talk about...my favourite relationship in the first two seasons, Felix and Lake. I was so disappointed when they didn't get back together at any point in the season. Especially since Felix and Pilar kinda just flamed out halfway through the season, which was also disappointing, but the drama has to come from somewhere. Especially because Felix didn't have a whole lot to do this season since his mom was all better. But, you know what? I'm okay that Felix and Lake didn't get back together because it would've cheapened not only what they went through in season 2, but also it would've cheapened Lake's relationship with Lucy, and Felix's relationship with Pilar, so I'm happy with it, even if I wished more time had been spent on them becoming friends following their big conversation in episode 2. I know, we got them talking in episodes 7 and 8, but I feel like there should've been more.

Speaking of parents, Armando and Isabel didn't have anything to do this season except for get mad at Pilar for hiding her relationship with Felix from them. Even Adrian wasn't there for a whole lot of the season. I did like what they did with Armando and Isabel this season though. It felt more like the writers wanted to focus alot more on the kids than on the parents, which is good. 

I am so glad that they stuck to their guns with Lake and Lucy, because it would've been so easy to have Lake pull back from Lucy and pine over Felix for the rest of the season, but they didn't, and I am so happy they didn't too. It's one thing I criticize the third season of The O.C. for not sticking to with Marissa after the big push to make her a Lesbian, or at the very least bisexual, in season 2. Trust me, I will be talking about that show another time.

One of my favourite things about this season though is how much they managed to wrap up in only eight episodes. With most final seasons the people making the show attempt to wrap up one or two things, while introducing new things, most of which never get explored or wrapped up, during the course of the season. Here though they wrapped up EVERY single storyline from the previous two seasons that carried over into this one. Lake and her mom, Felix and his mom, Pilar and her dad, Mia and her dad, AND Mia and her mom. So that was pretty impressive. I also loved that they didn't linger on certain storylines because it wasn't necessary to. Plus it takes some shows six seasons and a movie to wrap everything up (Hey Community I'm still waiting for that movie part). Which isn't always a good thing. So for this show to wrap everything up in eight episodes, while continuing the storyline until the very end of the series is pretty impressive. The Disney+ Star Wars and Marvel shows could start to learn that lesson. 

Honestly it was nice to watch eight episodes of a TV show and not have to worry about what's coming next for the wider universe the show is set in. I mean I watch plenty of shows where that is the case and it's nice to just step back a bit and enjoy watching characters that I love go through their lives.

Love, Victor is one of my absolute favourite shows of the last...well...of the last two years if I'm being honest. Yes, I only came to it last year after having finally been able to watch Love, Simon last October, but I had so much fun watching both seasons AND the movie, and I was so excited for this final season to drop. Will we return to Creekwood in the future? Who knows. If we do, will it be with the characters we're familiar with or an entirely brand new set of characters, with an all new cast playing them? I don't know, but whether we do or not, I had alot of fun during my time in Creekwood. 

Alrighty my friends, that's going to be it for me for today. I will be back tomorrow with some post. I'm not really sure what yet, but I'll be here. Until then have a wonderful evening and I will talk to you all again soon. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...