Friday 4 February 2022

My Geek Life: The Orville Season 3, The Book of Boba Fett, Star Trek: Prodigy, and A Nostalgia Trip of Epic Proportions

 Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been around much this week. I've been making preparations for reviews of the Walt Disney Classics, the Walt Disney Masterpiece Collection, the Walt Disney Limited Issues, the Walt Disney Gold Classic Collection, the Walt Disney Platinum Editions, the Walt Disney Diamond Editions, and the Walt Disney Signature Collection. I've done this before on The Review Basement, but that was more of an overview series. This time it's going to be the releases that I own from each line in a more review style format. So I'll be giving you more details on that in another post. In the meantime, let's go ahead with this week's edition of My Geek Life. I've got a few things to talk about so let's get into it.


Hulu put out a sneak peek of the third season of Seth MacFarlane's Sci-Fi series, The Orville earlier today, along with the announcement that the season premiere has moved from March 10th, to June 2nd 2022. For the sneak peek, we didn't get a trailer. Instead we got the entire opening scene from the first episode of the season, plus the new opening title sequence. Which is what I'd like to talk about.

Basically in the opening scene of Season 3, Episode 1, Marcus Finn, Clare's older son, is running through the Orville while it's under attack by the Kaylon. There's a massive Union and Krill fleet as well, being decimated by Kaylon ships. With the ship exploding around him, Marcus makes his way to the quarters he shares with Clare and Ty. Ty is there, looking out the window at the destruction around them. They turn and see Isaac appear and move towards them before his face becomes monstrous and it cuts to the new opening title sequence. 

That whole opening scene is a dream sequence, in case some of you haven't figured that out by now. I mean, it has to be because of the way Isaac's face changed and the fact that, well, these writers, not to mention Seth MacFarlane himself, wouldn't just blow their budget on a big epic space battle in the opening scene of their season premiere. Even if they have a much bigger budget this season. Personally, I would've preferred an introduction to the new character, Ensign Charly Burke, but this at least shows us that Marcus is having difficulty dealing with the Isaac and Kaylon stuff from season 2. The last time we saw Ty and Marcus was in the alternate timeline shown in the season 2 finale. So we haven't seen them outside of the alternate timeline since "Identity Part 2", which was when the Kaylon stuff was happening. So that'll be interesting to see when the show starts on June 2nd (hopefully).


I don't really have anything in particular to say about The Book of Boba Fett but, I'd still like to point something out. Can Disney just drop the subtitles from these Star Wars Disney+ shows and just label them as Star Wars? For example, seasons 1 and 2 of The Mandalorian would be seasons 1 and 2 of Star Wars and this show would be Star Wars season 3 and so on and so forth. Especially after the last couple of episodes that have brought in characters introduced in the first two seasons of The Mandalorian. And with both Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni involved with all of those three shows, The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, and Ahsoka, with the same crew involved as well, the three shows may as well be one show. Especially because of the number of guests on this show in episodes 5 and 6.


So the mid-season finale of Star Trek: Prodigy aired last night and I enjoyed it. However, while modern Star Trek usually has the tendency to over-explain a villain's reasons for doing something, this show barely gave us any details on the Diviner's reasoning for doing what he was doing. I won't spoil it, but they basically made him the more kid friendly version of Nero from Star Trek (2009). It's not a bad story by any means, I just wanted a bit more detail thrown in. And I think the Hagemans and their writing staff either couldn't provide that much detail, because it's a kids show first and foremost, OR they're holding off until the second half of the season, which I'm hoping is the case, because so far the writing has been tight and we still have ten episodes left in the season. But there's still tons of story to tell. Now it's time for a Nostalgia Trip of Epic Proportions.


It all started with my friend, Katie, giving me three Disney VHS tapes for my collection. The other two were the 1997 VHS release of the live action film, starring Glenn Close, 101 Dalmatians, and the VHS release of Lilo & Stitch. Those were really cool. However the third tape she gave me, and the one that started this all for me, was the 1991 Walt Disney Classics VHS release for The Jungle Book. As I've mentioned before, The Jungle Book is the first movie I remember seeing in theatres back in 1990. This VHS tape was one of the first Disney VHS tapes that I remember getting. The earliest ones like Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree and Disney Sing-Along Songs: The Bare Necessities I don't remember getting, I just remember having them. So Katie dropped those tapes off on Monday night and almost as soon as dinner was over I popped that tape into my VCR so I could watch it.

I don't have a problem admitting that I teared up as the sneak preview of Beauty and the Beast, which was coming out in theatres in the fall of 1991, started playing on my screen. And I teared up even more when the Walt Disney Classics logo came on screen. Yes, I've watched a few of my other Walt Disney Classics tapes in the last three years since I started collecting VHS again and have seen that logo a few times. But, it felt special this time around because this was the tape that I watched constantly when I was a kid. Even more than any other VHS tape that I had growing up, aside from my Teddy Ruxpin and Disney Sing-Along Songs tapes that is. Speaking of Teddy Ruxpin...


On Tuesday night, I was sitting down to dinner with my parents, as I do most nights. So nothing special there. However, after dinner, my dad went upstairs and came back with two VHS tapes. The kind you recorded shows and movies on off the TV in the '80s and '90s because DVRs didn't exist yet and neither did streaming. On each tape were episodes of The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin that my dad taped off the TV for me in 1989 and 1990. The first tape, which is in the picture above, contained six episodes. Episode 64, "L.B.'s Wedding", episode 2, "Beware the Mudblups", episode 3, "Guests of the Grunges", episode 4, "In the Fortress of the Wizard", episode 5, "Escape from the Treacherous Mountain", and episode 6, "Take a Good Look". Across both Tuesday and Wednesday nights I watched all six episodes as well as the old commercials on the tape, though my dad actually skipped over the commercials on some of the episodes. One of the commercials not skipped over was for Dragon Warrior which came out for the Nintendo Entertainment System in August 1989. So my dad recorded that string of episodes sometime between June and October of 1989. So that was a REAL throwback since, aside from "Guests of the Grunges" and "Take a Good Look", this tape is the only way I could watch these episodes if I missed a rotation of reruns on the TV. The second tape has four more episodes, but I'll talk about that tape next week.

I think that's going to be it for me for today. I'll be back soon with more great content, including my review of the Walt Disney Classics VHS line. So until then have a wonderful evening and wonderful weekend and I will talk to you later. Take care, and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...