Monday 23 September 2024

My 90's and 2000's Experience: TGIF Part 2 - The Shows I Didn't Watch or Don't Remember Watching (1989-1999)

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well. I got an interesting week coming up this week, but, I figured I'd come on and do the second part of my two part TGIF overview. Last week I talked about all the shows I watched. This week I'll be talking about four of the shows I didn't watch or don't remember watching. These are all from the original 90's run of TGIF as I didn't watch any of the second run from the 2000's and I didn't watch the ABC Comedy Friday run in 2012-2017, or the third run of TGIF in 2018-2019. As I mentioned last week, I watched some of the shows, but not on TGIF. So let's get into it.


I'm going in chronological order of when each show debuted, so up first is Perfect Strangers. I honestly don't remember ever watching this show. That doesn't mean I didn't, but it ran from March, 1986 to August, 1993, so it's quite possible I did watch it, I just don't remember it, as I never saw it in reruns like I did Full House and Boy Meets World. I also don't remember watching it on Friday nights either. I do remember seeing Mark Linn Baker and Bronson Pinchot as their characters from the show, Larry and Balkie, in promos for ABC during Full House. I just don't remember watching any episodes.


Next up is Step by Step, which starred Patrick Duffy (Dallas), Suzanne Somers (Three's Company), and Staci Keanan (My Two Dads). It ran from 1991-1997 on ABC and then from 1997-1998 on CBS, but, again, I don't remember watching it. Looking at the cover image above it looks familiar, particularly Patrick Duffy and Suzanne Somers. However, we didn't really watch TGIF until the second season of Sabrina the Teenage Witch and the fourth season of Boy Meets World debuted alongside the only seasons of Teen Angel and You Wish, and by that point Step by Step was starting its final season over on CBS and was no longer part of TGIF. It aired in the 8:30 pm time slot for the show's first two seasons, then for the next three seasons it aired in the 9 pm slot before moving to the 9:30 pm time slot for its final season on ABC, so it's possible we did watch it or that I saw a few episodes here and there. I just don't remember it very well. I also can't find it on the lists of shows that aired on Global, CTV, CTV 2 (CHRO/The New RO/A Channel here in Ottawa), Citytv, or CBC, so I have no idea if it even aired on any Canadian channel at all.


The third show I didn't watch on TGIF in the 90's was the TV series version of Clueless. I remember seeing commercials for it on Global, as, despite its move from ABC to UPN at the beginning of its second season, it aired on Global for the entirety of its three season run. That's how I knew of its existence even if I didn't know the movie was a thing.


The last show on this list is The Hughleys. I remember seeing commercials for this show on TV during its run from 1998-2002, but I never watched any episodes. By the time this show moved to TGIF in the fall of 1999, we were basically just watching Boy Meets World so we could be in bed by 9 since I was having to get up at 6 to catch my bus for 7 on weekday mornings, and Mom wanted to go to bed since she'd just finished a week of nights at work and was tired. And since Boy Meets World and Sabrina the Teenage Witch weren't paired up on the TGIF schedule anymore, we didn't watch Sabrina anymore. Plus The Hughleys was only part of TGIF for a year before it moved to UPN, so it really wasn't on there for very long.

And that my friends is it for my look at TGIF. As I mentioned last time, it was a special time, where my mom, my siblings and I watched these shows, whether we watched them as part of TGIF or not. Getting to remember those times is exactly what Nostalgia is about for me. And it's why I reorganized this blog to the way I do it now. What's funny is that early 2010's stuff like The Avengers, Man of Steel, The Amazing Spider-Man, Arrow, and The Flash (2014) have either already hit their tenth anniversary or will be this year. Which means that Nostalgia is starting to include these shows and movies, as well as comic book stuff like DC's New 52. Which is insane to me since those things all came out when I was an adult.

That's it for me for today. I'll be back on Wednesday for another blog post. I'm not sure if it'll be a Star Wars post or a more general post, but I'll make that decision on Wednesday. So until then have a great evening and I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 90's and 2000's Experience: The Star Trek: Voyager Relaunch Novel Series (2003-2020)

 Hey everyone, how were your weekends? Mine was pretty good. So today I'm going to be talking about Star Trek novels, specifically the S...