Wednesday 11 October 2023

Marvel's Star Trek Overview Part 7: Star Trek: Untold Voyages and Star Trek: Voyager - Splashdown (1998)

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well. I'm back for the penultimate installment in my Marvel Comics's Star Trek overview series. I'm covering two mini-series today because I felt I didn't have enough to say about either of them to give them each an individual blog post given that I've never read either series. Next week I'll be talking about the one-shot issues and an interesting crossover that Marvel snuck in. For now let's talk about Star Trek: Untold Voyages and Star Trek: Voyager - Splashdown. Let's get into it.


Untold Voyages is a five issue mini-series that does something similar to the '80s Marvel Star Trek ongoing monthly, but unlike that series, this one tells a very specific story, and includes things that weren't known prior to 1982, when Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was released. I've never read this mini-series, nor have I come across the first issue. I actually came across issue #3 or #4 at the yard sale where I picked up the three issues of Early Voyages that I talked about last week, but it didn't make sense to pick it up when none of the other issues were there. 


I have come cross more information on this series, as Memory Alpha actually has stuff on it, unlike the previous comics that I've talked about in this overview series. For example, because it takes place during the Enterprise's second five year mission under the command of James T. Kirk, each issue takes place a year after the previous issue. So it covers the entirety of the five year mission, even if it doesn't cover EVERY mission during those five years. The final issue was published in July 1998, along with the final issues of the previous series.


Star Trek: Voyager - Splashdown is a four issue mini-series that takes place during the fourth season of the TV show. Which means that Kes is gone and Seven of Nine is present. That's all I really know about the series, as Memory Alpha doesn't say much about it. I had to get the synopsis for the first issue from a website called Wixiban, which contains a vast database on the comics, toys, models, and other Star Trek collectibles, that aren't home media releases, and includes an episode guide. According to Wixiban, Voyager is low on power and gets attacked by some drones, which badly damages the ship, and forcing it to crash land in the ocean of a nearby planet. Apparently Engineering becomes flooded, though it doesn't say how Engineering became flooded though. 


The final issue came out in July 1998. According to Memory Alpha, this was the last issue to be published by Marvel, but I don't know if that means the last issue entirely or the final issue besides a one shot. Because a one shot did come out at the same time as the final issues of all of the comic book series that Marvel had been publishing for Star Trek, but I have no way of knowing whether it was published before this issue, at the same time as this issue or after this issue. I'm just going to presume that this was the final Star Trek issue that Marvel published.

While the ongoing monthlies and mini-series were all finished, we still have several one-shot issues to discuss, I'm going to save those for next week. Basically these were stories that were told in a single issue and were spread out over the two years that Marvel held the Star Trek comic book license for. They include a movie adaptation, the final part of the Telepathy War story arc that I've mentioned throughout this overview, and a crossover event with the main 616 Marvel Universe. So join me next week for the finale of this overview series.

That's it for me for today my friends. I'll be back tomorrow for my review of Star Trek: Voyager's series premiere, "Caretaker". So until then have a great rest of your day and I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...