Wednesday 9 August 2023

Only Murders in the Building Season 3, Episodes 1 and 2 (2023) TV Show Review

Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing okay. My day got changed around unexpectedly yesterday, which is why this review didn't come out when it was supposed to. But, I was able to watch the two episode premiere of the third season of Only Murders in the Building so that's what I'm reviewing today. This is going to be a completely spoiler free review, though I will be talking about a few character things so just warning you about that up front. So, with that out of the way, let's get into it.


 As usual these two episodes were a solid start to the season. But, I think it's lost the novelty of the show's premise. Shows like this tend to be huge hits, but oftentimes they burn out after two or three seasons because of the repetitiveness. The quality of the show has not diminished one bit. Particularly in the writing and acting, but, I do think that the show should end after this season, if not the fourth season, if it gets renewed for a fourth season, which isn't a guarantee at this point. 

While season 1 focused alot on Mabel (played by Selena Gomez) and season 2 focused on Charles (played by Steve Martin, season 3 seems to be focused on Mabel and Oliver (played by Martin Short). Which is great, because like many of the shows that I watch, the strength of this show is the three main characters and their interactions with each other. So to see that maintained in these episodes was great. Also, I'm intrigued by Mabel and Oliver's storylines this season, because Mabel's aunt has sold the apartment at the Arconia, which means that Mabel has to move out, and because both Oliver and Charles have been busy with with their Broadway show, and there hasn't been another murder at the Arconia, they haven't had time to record new episodes of the podcast, which makes Mabel feel like she's lost as she has nothing else to really occupy her time the way that Charles and Oliver do. So that'll be interesting to see how things develop with that as the season goes on.

I wasn't as invested in the murder victim, played by Paul Rudd, this season as I was with Bunny in season 2 and Tim Kono in season 1. I think it's because with Bunny, we'd seen her for an entire season up to her death, and we'd seen her interact with Mabel, Charles, and Oliver, and in season 1, Tim had that personal connection with Mabel, being someone she was close with when she was younger. With Ben Glenroy though, while he has a professional connection to Charles and Oliver due to him starring in Oliver's return to Broadway after fifteen years, there isn't that personal connection, plus he was only introduced in the season 2 finale and all we got was a flashback in season 3, episode 1. So that investment from the first two seasons isn't there this time. But we'll see what happens as the season goes on. 

Overall this was a great season premiere, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the gang solves the murder this season. I still recommend checking this show out if you've never seen it before because it is fantastic and it's alot of fun.

Alright my friends, that's going to be it for me for today. I'm going to hold off on the review of Dark Forces: Rebel Agent until next week, just because I'm doing this review today, and I've got Strange New Worlds posts coming out on both Friday and Saturday, and I haven't had a chance to read the graphic novella yet. So I will see you all on Friday for my review of the season finale of SNW season 2. Until then have a great evening and I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...