Friday 21 July 2023

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season 2, Episode 6 "Lost in Translation" Episode Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well. I had a visitor this morning so I didn't have a chance to come on here and talk about this week's episode of Strange New Worlds. But, I'm here now, so let's talk about this week's episode, called, "Lost in Translation". There will be spoilers, so if you're watching the show and haven't seen this episode yet, please do so before reading this review. Otherwise, enjoy. Let's get into it!


The biggest thing that I wanted to talk about is the fact that Kirk, both Kirks actually, show up in this episode and it's James T. Kirk's first time meeting Pike, Uhura, and Spock. Him meeting Pike was cool, but the biggest thing for me, as a Trekkie, is seeing Kirk and Spock meet for the first time, and Kirk and Uhura meeting for the first time. Given the alternate universe setting for the 2009 film, where Kirk meets Pike, Spock, and Uhura for the first time also, it was fun seeing how Kirk and Spock met and how Kirk and Uhura met for the first time in the primary Star Trek timeline. And unlike in the 2009 movie, Kirk gets along with both Spock and Uhura pretty well. Mostly because Kirk and Spock bond over the fact that Sam Kirk can be irritating, as we saw in last week's episode. But why do Kirk and Uhura meet?

While the Enterprise, and the USS Farragut are on a mission to repair a deuterium refueling station that Starfleet had built in a nebula rich with deuterium, the fuel that powers starship's engines, Uhura is affected by hallucinations which are caused by...well, you'll have to watch the episode to find out because I'm not going to spoil the ending for you. One of the hallucinations that Uhura ends up having is of a Zombiefied Hemmer, who was killed at the end of season 1. The other is of the shuttle accident that killed her family, which was established back in season 1, episode 2. The aftermath of it anyway, since Uhura mentioned earlier in the episode that she hadn't seen the crash site. Both M'Benga and Chapel believe that the hallucinations are being caused by Uhura's lack of sleep, but Kirk believes her and helps her to figure it out, which is really cool to see.

Honestly, this is the Kirk that I know and love from TOS, rather than the stereotype that non-Trekkies made him in the most recent Star Trek movies that came out in 2009, 2013, and 2016. And it was finally great to have him back since both times we'd seen Paul Wesley as Kirk, aside from on a com screen at the end of season 2, episode 3, it was an alternate timeline. Honestly, I really like Paul Wesley as Kirk. I was skeptical when he was first announced last year, but he's proven himself to be a great addition to the Star Trek Universe and a worthy successor to William Shatner.

The B-plot of this episode has Una teamed up with Pelia and both Rebecca Romijn and Carol Kane had great acting chemistry together. They only had three scenes together but it's a dynamic I'm hoping to see more of later in the season, and maybe in season 3 if they don't kill off Pelia at the end of the season like they did with Hemmer at the end of this season.

Overall, this was yet another excellent episode. I am so happy that we're getting quality Star Trek every week again like we got when I was growing up in the '90s and early 2000s. With all the streaming services in turmoil right now, it's probably not going to be long before the franchise goes dormant again, but until it does I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

And that my friends is it for this week. As you may have noticed I didn't do any other posts this week. I decided to take the week off, except for this review. But Jonathan lent me some Star Wars comics from the '90s and early 2000s so expect reviews for all of them coming out in the next few weeks. But, until then have a great weekend and I will talk to you all later. Take care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...