Wednesday 31 May 2023

Star Wars Rebels Season 4 (2017) TV Show Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Wednesday. Normally I try to do a comic book review on Wednesdays as it's the day that new issues come out every week, but I finished watching the final season of Star Wars Rebels last night and I'm bursting to talk about it. There will most likely be spoilers in this review, so if you've never seen the show before and are interested in watching it, please do so before reading this review, or any of my posts on this show. With that out of the way, let's get into it.


Season 4 is probably the most interesting season of them all. It's starts off with the liberation of Mandalore from the Empire and returns to the much smaller scope of the show's first season by the end of the season with the action returning to Lothal in the last seven or eight episodes. Which intrigues me if I'm being honest. Mostly because most Star Wars shows don't have the chance to expand and contract the way Rebels was able to since they're short single season shows rather than a full on four to seven season show.

One of the things that I liked about this season is how much things were starting to connect to what's going on in The Mandalorian and Ahsoka. The biggest reason I watched Rebels now is because Ahsoka is coming up in August and there's gonna be alot of connection to Rebels in that show and we've had characters hinting at certain things from Rebels in seasons 2 and 3 of The Mandalorian, so to finally get to connect the dots was fantastic.

The final few episodes were intense. Despite knowing that most of the main characters survive, being that they're gonna show up in Ahsoka, and Zeb showed up in season 3 of The Mandalorian, there were moments where I genuinely thought one of them was gonna die. And one of them did die, I just won't say who in case those of you who haven't watched the show yet wants to before Ahsoka comes out.

Most of this season took place on Lothal, and yet it didn't seem as small and isolated as season 1 had been. I think that's just because seasons 2 and 3 were all about the crew of the Ghost's involvement in the larger Galactic Civil War and the Rebel Alliance, so it's not like the show was set entirely on Lothal or anything. 

The stuff with the Force, the World Between Worlds, and the Lothwolves was fine, but it felt tacked on. It wasn't bad, but it felt like a way to help the Rebels deal with the Imperial presence on Lothal more than anything. Again, not bad, but not my favourite part of the season given that it came up about halfway through the season, at a point where so much was going on to begin with.

Overall, this was a fantastic season. I do wish we could've seen more of the Rebel Alliance but given that the latter half of the season took place during the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) and the early parts of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977), there really wasn't a way to bring the Alliance to Lothal in the series finale. Otherwise this season was fantastic.

That'll be it for me for today. I'll be back on Friday for my final thoughts on Star Wars Rebels as a whole. So until then have a great evening and I'll talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...