Wednesday 5 April 2023

Batman '66 #1 (2013) Comic Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well on this rainy Wednesday. Today I'm back for a quick comic book review of Batman '66 #1 by Jeff Parker with art by Jonathan Case and published by DC Comics in 2013. There will be spoilers, so just be aware of that as you read this review. With that out of the way, let's get into it!


Batman '66 was originally a digital first series that began publication in 2013 and was repackaged into physical issues that same year and ran until 2016. As the title shows, the comic was based on the 1966 TV series starring Adam West and Burt Ward and it works because of how the show was originally set up. It had no continuing storyline and the status quo remained the same throughout the show's three season run. Which makes it the most suitable TV show to have a direct comic book adaptation/continuation than most modern superhero/comic book and Science Fiction shows are. 

While the artwork is amazing, there really isn't much to talk about with the story because it's almost exactly like an episode of the show. Batman and Robin are against the Riddler in this issue, preventing him from stealing a three piece golden statue. One of the pieces was stolen from Catwoman's club, so the Dynamic Duo gets help from her to take down the Riddler. Being Catwoman she double crosses the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder. The only thing this issue didn't do that the show did was have Batman and Robin fall into a deathtrap set by the Riddler for a cliffhanger ending, same Bat Time, same Bat Channel. Which wouldn't've made sense for the comic, the way it did for the show.

Like I said, there isn't much to say about this issue. When I was a kid I grew up watching reruns of Batman on YTV, before Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and then later, on Space Channel after reruns of Green Hornet, which had originally started airing in 1966, the same year as Batman and Star Trek: The Original Series. So when I heard that a comic book continuation of the series was coming out, I was thrilled because as much as I love Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, and Kevin Conroy in the role, Adam West is my Batman and that show is how I discovered the character. So naturally anytime DC or Warner Brothers do anything with that version of the character I get excited.

Even now, almost ten years later, I love reading this issue. Aside from the minor changes necessary to translate the show to the comic book page, like the lack of a deathtrap cliffhanger ending, this issue feels exactly like an episode of the show. Right down to hearing William Dozier's voice as the narrator in the narration captions. 

Alright my friends that's it for me for today. I'll be back soon with more reviews and posts soon. So, until then, have a great evening and I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...