Wednesday 1 March 2023

The Mandalorian 3x01 "Chapter 17: The Apostate" (2023) TV Show Review

 Hey everyone! How's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Wednesday. So today is the day my friends. The premiere of season 3 of The Mandalorian dropped on Disney+ this morning and I just finished watching it. It was a great start to the season and I'm going to talk about it. There will be some spoilers just because in terms of material there actually isn't a whole lot to talk about so it's going to be difficult to talk about the episode without spoilers. So if you're watching the show and haven't watched this episode yet, please do so before reading this review. Let's get into it.


Picking up where we left off in season 2 and The Book of Boba Fett, Mando and Grogu head to where Mando's former clan, or cult, as Bo-Katan called it, saving his people from a very large sea lizard before speaking to the Armorer. Next the clan of two go to Nevarro to see Karga and to try to repair IG-11, who self-destructed to protect Grogu all the way back in the season 1 finale. While there Mando and Grogu meet some Anzellans, master Droidsmiths, who first appeared back in 2019 in The Rise of Skywalker with the character, Babu Frik. When we saw the head Anzellan in the trailer, everyone thought that it was Babu Frik, but now I'm not so sure. The character isn't named in this episode, so if it is Babu Frik we likely won't find out until a later episode in the season. But we'll see on that. After a run in with some pirates, which Mando helped Karga defeat on Nevarro, Mando and Grogu go to visit Bo-Katan, who has abandoned her plans to reclaim Mandalore as she failed to gain the Darksaber at the end of season 2.

I really enjoyed this episode. Not a whole lot to it, but I didn't need a major dense season opening like I'd gotten with the season 3 premiere of Star Trek: Picard or that I'll likely get with the season 3 premiere of Superman & Lois. This was the perfect way to ease the audience back into the world of this show, since, apart from the last three episodes of The Book of Boba Fett, we haven't been with Mando and Grogu in a little over 2 years, and not everyone who watches The Mandalorian watched The Book of Boba Fett since there are alot of casual fans and non-fans who watch The Mandalorian. So I thought this was the perfect way to start the season off.

One thing that I was surprised at was how different Nevarro was compared to previous seasons. It was always another hive of scum and villainy, rivaling Mos Eisley on Tatooine, but Greef Karga really cleaned the place up since season 2. As he mentioned to Mando in the episode, Cara Dune was recruited by New Republic Special Forces, so Karga is without a Marshall, but hoped that Mando would take over. I was a little confused when Karga mentioned that the former bar was a school because I thought the school was in a different building as we saw in the season 2 opener when Mando sent Grogu there and he and Karga talked in the bar. But it's been a while since I watched season 2, so I might do a rewatch at some point. We'll see though.

I think my favourite part was the beginning where Paz Vizla, the Armorer, and the other Mandalorians were having trouble taking down that sea lizard but Mando came in and killed it with the weapons on his modified Naboo N-1 Starfighter, which probably had Vizla a bit upset, given their previous rivalry. Particularly in episode 5 of The Book of Boba Fett. Which was fun to see.

I was a little bit confused when the recap at the beginning of the episode showed IG-11's destruction in the season 1 finale, but that confusion vanished when Mando stated his desire to bring IG-11 back in the episode. I found that interesting since IG-11 wasn't even mentioned at all in season 2 or in The Book of Boba Fett. So I'm interested to see where that goes in later episodes.

That's all I have to say about this episode. Like I said, it's a simple, straightforward season opening. It was fun, interesting and felt alot more streamlined than previous season openers for Star Wars shows. Which is nice for a change, since they packed alot into those previous season openers, especially for shows that were mini-series like The Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi, and it's not always necessary to do so. 

That my friends, is it for me for today. I'll be back soon with more reviews and posts. So until then have a great rest of your day and I will talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...