Wednesday 4 May 2022

How I Met Your Father Season 1 (2022) TV Show Review

 Hey everyone! How's it going? I'm doing pretty well. Today is May the 4th, a.k.a. Star Wars Day, so I'm going to have a Star Wars related post out later today. Right now though I have some thoughts on the first season of How I Met Your Father now that it's complete on Disney+. This is not going to be a long post though because I don't have a whole lot to say about it. So let's get into it.


How I Met Your Father season 1 is really weird because it's trying to be it's own thing while still being pretty attached to it's parent series, How I Met Your Mother (2005-2014). And by pretty attached I mean that Jesse and Sid's apartment is Ted, Lily, and Marshall's apartment from the original series, Kyle MacLachlan appears in the final two episodes of the season as The Captain, Ted's nemesis from the first series, and Cobie Smulders shows up as Robin when Sophie runs into her at McLaren's, where Carl is still working, even after all this time. We don't actually spend that much time in Jesse and Sid's apartment because most of it is either with Sophie at the various places that she goes to, at her and Valentina's apartment, at Charlie and Ellen's apartment, or at Sid's bar which is more like Central Perk from Friends (1994-2004). 

Aside from the narration aspect, both How I Met Your Mother and How I Met Your Father are sort of the spiritual successors of Friends. The original show started the year after Friends ended and it's sequel/spin-off/reimagining started eight years after the original ended. And the concepts for each show are basically the same, with How I Met Your Father being closer in concept to How I Met Your Mother.

Apart from Sophie, who is this show's Ted, there isn't really any comparison to any of the characters from How I Met Your Mother on this show. As I said in my review of the series premiere both Charlie and Valentina easily could've become this show's versions of Barney Stinson, had this show been made in 2012 instead of 2022. But because it was made when it was made, we were spared that situation. I don't have a whole lot more to say about the characters that I didn't already say in my review of the premiere because none of them really grew as characters. Which, in a way it was the same with Ted, Robin, Lily, Marshall, and Barney after only ten episodes. And I think that's kind of my biggest problem with this first season. There aren't enough episodes to really be able to develop any of the characters. But that's okay because the show is getting a second season and it's going to have twenty episodes instead of ten.

Overall though this was a fun series to watch. As I do with any Disney+ show that I watch, I watched How I Met Your Father right after breakfast on Wednesday morning every week and it was a nice way to ease into the day. I laughed when I thought something was funny and shook my head at the not so funny jokes. This show isn't groundbreaking, nor is it really trying to say anything that a TV show or movie hasn't said before, it's just a fun show and I'm glad it's getting a second season. 

That's going to be it for me for right now, but I will be back with some thoughts on where I think the Obi-Wan Kenobi series might be going based on the trailers we've gotten so far for my Star Wars Day post, and then I'll be posting a comic book review later today as well, so three posts for you all to read. Talk to you later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #3 - Champions of the Force (1994) Book Review

 Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon. I'm back with my review of the third and final book...